26 November 2008

Going to the swampland

I'm leaving in fifteen minutes to go to my birthplace: Lake Charles, Louisiana. I haven't practiced my cajun yell in years, so I'm sure it sucks. AAAAAAAIIEEEEEE. It's actually a very bizarre feeling to go there now as we used to be so close to that side of the family when I was growing up in the south but as soon as we moved to Kansas in Jr. High (and then New Jersey, and then all the places I've been since then) we've been the outsiders. We see them every few years at best for a day or two. El Esposo has never met any of my mom's family so it's going to be a treat. I'm excited for the warmth and for the re-forging of family connections and the totally-different-from-D.C. culture, but I'm trepidatious too. I feel like such a Yankee going to the Southland where I no longer belong.

No comments: