20 November 2008

This post is for Robyn, but she'll have to get some speakers

I was over at SJ's blog, making some comment about Jurassic Park and the late Michael Chrichton. So, I got curious and googled Michael Chrichton, only to find out that he was the genius behind the movie Westworld. If you have never seen it, it is so worth the rental/netflix/etc. In the words of Steven Malkmus pretending to be Yul Brenner: "Perhaps you saw me in Westworld / I acted like a robotic cowboy / It was my best role / I cannot deny I / felt right home deep inside / that electronic carcass." If you've seen the episode of the Simpsons where they go to Itchy and Scratchy Land and all hell breaks loose, you already know the plot, but it is the stellar acting of Yul Brenner that makes the movie.

Apparently Michael Chrichton had no involvement in Futureworld, the sequel to Westworld, a decision he likely never regretted. However, it has to be said that lackluster though the majority of the movie is, Futureworld has the best dream sequence ever recorded on film, during which Yul Brenner makes his only appearance to reprise his role as the gunslinger. (Warning, I guess, this is kind of erotic, but mostly in a weird way, not a sexy way.) Behold:


No comments: