25 January 2011

Thoughts on SOTU

So, I mostly liked the speech a lot. And I thought the follow-up speech also made some good points, despite being delivered in a rather condescending way. Here are some thoughts I have an hour or so later as it's starting to sink in:

1. Obama's speech writer(s) is/are still awesome.
2. Rep. Ryan's forehead is insane.
I honestly started to just watch his forehead I was so mesmerized.
3. I agree with Obama that at this point we should focus on reforming the health care bill, not repealing it (and definitely not unless they have a viable replacement--that would be completely asinine).
4. I agree with Ryan that the deficit/debt is the most important issue and that Obama may be trying to do too much.
5. That said, Obama's ideas for investment are spot-on if and when we can afford them.
6. I do not fully trust either of these dudes, but Ryan's smugness turned me off more than Obama's wild-eyed dreaming. I really don't like smugness in others, probably because it reminds me of my least favorite thing about myself.
7. I don't quite understand the phrase "spending freeze" in the case of the federal government.
8. I also don't understand how lower taxes and lower national debt are compatible.
9. All things considered, I actually feel slightly more confident that our elected officials are not going to let the country completely go to hell than I was before tonight, so I guess that's a win for everybody.
10. My biggest hell yes moment was this, from Obama's speech: "Every day, families sacrifice to live within their means. They deserve a government that does the same." Seconded by this a minute later: "I'm willing to eliminate whatever we can honestly afford to do without. But let's make sure that we're not doing it on the backs of our most vulnerable citizens."

I have more reactions/ideas, but this is as good a stopping place as any.

No comments: