19 January 2011

OK, so it was worth it...

Six seasons of LOST in about six months, that is. LCD and I bonded trying to understand what the heck was going on. And, even though there were lots of little annoyances along the way, there were also lots of things that were brilliant, funny, touching, heartwrenching and just plain cool. The ending was about 99% satisfying to me, though I did wonder if it would be less satisfying to others depending on . . . well some stuff (I don't want to give anything away to people like me that did not see the show during it's TV run). I loved the vast majority of the final episode and did in fact bawl like a baby through sections of it. Ah, sweet catharsis. I'm trying to get LCD to read The Brothers Karamazov with me next for our joint enlightenment project. I already know what happens in that book but it HAS been a long time and it is a candidate (he he) for my favorite book ever.

5 comments:

abby said...

I think LCD would like Dostoyevsky with his psychology background. Of course my reaction to Crime and Punishment, was I don't get why it's a big deal. Maybe I had a crappy translation which is my usual excuse about why I don't like Russian novels. Although that Anna Karenina translation that e has was amazing and made me want to read more Tolstoy.

Dave said...

or you could just consider watching the nickelodeon cartoon Avatar. Its probably almost as good as that russian book and a lot less effort.

Steve said...

Hmmm, I love Dostoyevsky, but have focused on his lesser known stuff. Maybe I should read The Brothers. Try The Gambler for LCD to ease into him. Have you read The Idiot yet? Amazing!

I told you LOST would be worth it! Watching it on DVD is the way it is probably meant to be watched! I teared up a lot too!

Unknown said...

Ugh, I hated the ending (not giving it away) but loved,loved the show. But yes, for pop culture and the sake of JJ Abrams brilliance (once again) it is worth watching. Glad you liked it.

mj said...

Okay, SJ, I'm way too curious, so anyone that has not seen the show (and believe me, you want to see it) DO NOT READ BELOW, and SJ tell me why you didn't like the ending. Because, I seriously loved it and thought it was just beautiful. I mean there were moments when I was like, "dude, could you tug on the heartstrings a little more, because this is not over-the-top enough yet?" but then--to me--all was forgiven when we made it to the very end of the show.