28 September 2009

The voice coach taught me to sing; he couldn't teach me to love

El Esposo and I have been very productive lately. We have done lots of baby prep, house work and organization, and I have started a new relatively large freelance contract which means I get to work an extra ten hours a week for the next six weeks (which would be slightly more awesome if I didn't already work 45 hours a week and wasn't 7 months pregnant, but--you know--I'll take it). El Esposo is still planning on hanging a bunch of drywall in our gutted basement room, and, with some help, regrading the lawn so no more water gets in the aforementioned room. And then there's the missing shingle or two on the roof-blech. Homeownership. This Wednesday we start taking our childbirth classes. We expect all of this to pretty much take us up to full term with the bebe.

So, last night, we somehow ended up staying up way late for a Sunday night with me going through several of my old CD's and playing snippets for El Esposo. He was most impressed with this one:



Which I totally agreed with. I am not a Pavement super-fan like a certain other member of my family, but Brighten the Corners doesn't sound so aged and obviously nineties as a lot of my other old stuff. It still fits right into the indie milleu that has followed--and is frankly better than most of it. If you missed it way back in 1997, now is still a good time. Old Man Malkmus sounds a bit brighter and more brilliant than the more recent stuff I have heard, which is still pretty quirky and interesting. I don't know enough to tell you whether it's the quintessential Pavement album. I'm guessing probably not. But it may be the most consistently awesome. To each his own, of course, but I think if you don't love screaming along to "Stereo" you might just be no fun at all.

3 comments:

Julie said...

did you hear pavement is doing a reunion tour? september 2010 mark your calendar! (this makes me so angry and full of hate that pavement would announce a tour AND sell tickets a year beforehand. what a bunch of jerks.)

i will def check out that album. i like vanessa from queens from stephan malkmus and the jicks. holla.

mj said...

well that is pretentious. i have mixed feelings about reunion shows anyway. i've been to a couple and they both seemed kind of like i was just watching a really good tribute band.

Dave said...

The whole pavement catalog is of course awesome but you could say this is one of their better albums although most pavement fans would put others in front of it. I'd say the most impressive part of this album is that Arianne will listen to it with me while finding some of their other stuff a bit too weird or noisy.