11 September 2009

just stuff occuring to me today

1. Today I learned that I still have not figured out how to properly open one of these

without some type of paper mishap. Actually, I might have figured it out sometime during elementary school, but that knowledge is now gone. My nine-year-old self would not be impressed. (The picture on the carton happens to be John Kerry, which is just what google brought up--hmmmm.) But really, couldn't they make it easier? The instructions on the carton never really work quite right.

2. I also realized that I have become paranoid about sick people. I read so much crap about pregnancy and thus can't avoid H1N1 and the stories are all about women dying in the third trimester and the big question of whether or not to get the vaccine when it comes out and everyone is sick right now (including El Esposo). I am not paranoid enough to wear a mask everywhere yet, though; I'm just taking up OCD handwashing. I hope this is not a sign that I'm going to overparent. Sorry, sick people. I hope you get better soon. Like really soon. Maybe I'm especially creeped out today because it's 9/11 and everything creeps me out on 9/11: working in DC and taking the train included.

3. It's worth spending the extra five bucks to get a decent umbrella. This guy with lots of time on his hands has documented why. Today I carried a working umbrella for a change, which kept me from yelling at the umbrella in a frustrated fashion where I could be easily mistaken for one of those mentally ill homeless people walking the streets of the city.

Everyone take care of yourselves. It is always on this day that I wonder what -- other than national mourning -- can ever unify us. Maybe we can just be nice to people: sick people, homeless people, manufacturers of milk cartons...

No comments: