23 June 2009

Huh?

This morning I ran out of my house to drive my car to the train station, late as always, but noticed there were at least ten emergency vehicles on the road in front of my townhouse complex. Then I noticed that there were several non-emergency vehicles also clogging up the road and that my little service road/parking lot was blocked off with cones and orange tape just a few houses down. On the other side of the cones was an armored truck (I think--it looked like one). Various uniformed officials were all over the street. We spied for a while and saw some camoflauged dudes (National Guard, maybe?). El Esposo swears one of them was carrying an assault rifle. My neighbor had been outside for a while watching and his guess was bomb threat. Seriously, bomb threat in a residential neighborhood in the suburbs?

Clearly I missed my train, so I decided to take the next one. Since I had plenty of time and the road was clogged up I thought I might walk to the station, but the uniformed dudes would not let me. They wouldn't give me any info but I wasn't allowed to go that way. Now I realize I should have been more demanding as I have found no info on the incident via google. I did see a channel 4 helicopter flying around but I have not seen any info on the incident (whatever it was) on their site. I'm guessing whatever it was was a false alarm.

Meantime the news is all about the seriously scary metro incident. The Red Line has always sucked--they seem to have the most delays and problems--but this is REALLY bad. Last I heard there were nine casualties. I read a bit of Metroman's play-by-play - so terrible and bizarre.

1 comment:

modestmuse said...

This reminds me of the time my friend and I, and probably 1,000 other people leaving a college basketball game, saw a UFO. A HUGE flying saucer. And there were no reports of it anywhere the next day. More recenlty there was the same sighting in Texas, reported in the Washington Post; a week later the Air Force said it was their jets and then a little later, all the related stories were 404 NOT FOUND on the Post Web site ...

sorry for the long comments.