18 January 2007

Your kindness is a terrible burden to me

I was just reading on sj's blog about opening doors for people and I was thinking--Have you ever held a door open for somebody and they speed up sooo fast they are bascially running? It's as if to say, "Please do not deign to show me your courtesy. Fie fie on your courtesy." Of course one shouldn't go extra slow but people p-lease. It's just a door I'm holding--It's not that heavy. I have been a fast walker in the past and I get the idea. You THINK you're showing appreciation. I've decided though, that what you are showing is a la the blog title.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

ya, it's the same thing when someone at a four-way stop thinks they are being polite by letting you go first, but it's really their turn and then you both sit there waiting longer because you're waiting for the other person. kindness becomes burdensome sometimes. But then you write that you read my blog and it's like a little drop of sunshine.

Joy said...

I speed up when someone holds an elevator for me at the end of the day, but I do it out of consideration. But that's a little different.

mj said...

yeah i do too. i guess it is a little different. hmm. i might backpedal. but seriously there has been a recent rash of people hurtling through doors i am holding open at supersonic speed! it's weird. i guess with an elevator there are usually like a lot of people and they're all trying to go home. there not just like on the way to the bathroom b/c they are sick of sitting at their desk.