05 January 2007

Minimum Wage! Eeyaaahh

This is what I wrote as my commentary on the Minimum Wage petition on Harry Reid's site. It's not brilliant or anything, but it is true:

I am a young single professional and though I have not worked for minimum wage in about ten years, I did try and support myself on a very small adjunct professor salary when I got out of graduate school. Finding it utterly impossible and watching myself sink further into debt, I gave up teaching, and found a much better paying job as a government contractor. I had no children to raise but I still could not pay my rent or buy enough food to eat to be healthy. It is inhumane that anyone should not be paid a living wage in this country of great excess. Children whose parents work at minimum wage jobs are at an extreme disadvantage. The minimum wage needs to be raised in order to reduce crime, poverty and hunger and put children on a more equal footing to maintain our peaceful and productive society.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

and universal health care coverage for all! (I mean a reasonable and responsible plan-thanks)

Steve said...

Yeah, you two have my vote!