23 November 2011

Is it bad to let your toddler sleep on the floor?

After the intrepid explorer learned how to escape the crib yesterday, we put her in a "big girl bed" tonight. But of course she didn't stay in it. She instead knocked on her door (luckily her door is one of the harder-to-open ones in the house so she can't get out yet with it closed) for about fifteen minutes and was then silent. I went to check on her an hour later and barely cracked the door before I ran in to her body lying on the floor. I've learned over the months not to move her if she's sleeping, so I just closed the door and let it be. I feel a smidgen of guilt about this, but I think it might just be a rite of passage.

Edited to add: Okay we couldn't do it all night. I kept asking LCD . . .

Should we move her?
No.
Should we move her?
No.
But, are you sure we shouldn't move her?
No . . . yes let's move her.

All in all, she slept beautifully all night. So this morning I am definitely giving thanks!

2 comments:

Steve said...

No worries, millions of kids in the world sleep on much worse floors than yours each night! But regardless, SA did the same thing when we made the switch, one time falling asleep hunched over the footstool for the rocker, haha. It was adorable and sad at the same time. I moved her only b/c she might have fallen and who wants to sleep half standing?!? And didn't sleep she sleep on the floor from time to time when she was an infant too? It's not like she was sleeping in a pile of dirt! :)

Amanda said...

I give no worries to kids sleeping on the floor. They will learn it's much nicer to sleep in a bed. And this might be a helpful suggestion, after my kids being in a big bed for some time they started waking up too early. So, we got the "OK to wake" clock. Works like a charm, and the kids really love it.