04 October 2011

Does something have to be done?

At best I tolerate cooking. At worst I loathe it. Okay, sometimes I like baking.

Anyway it is a major stress for me most of the time to figure out what to make for dinner. I make dinner for the family Monday through Friday and half of Sundays. It's fair because I am the one here to get started on it so it's ready at a decent hour. It's the thinking of what to make that may be the worst. I look a ton of stuff up and realize we don't have the ingredients for any of it. We have plenty of food in the house as is well-demonstrated by the husband when it is his turn and he whips up something new and exciting with whatever we have on hand. But I don't think of these things. I have a mental block for cooking.

Hasn't it gotten easier yet? Well maybe. I know how to make more things and I am more competent when I do it. But then I get tired of those things. Or maybe I have six weeks of nausea during which it is especially un-fun (thank the heavens it was only six weeks) after which I can't seem to climb back out of that rut. I know the days when LCD comes home early and cooks I feel to shout hallelujah.

So I should probably get into meal planning or something right? Only, I have little to no interest in it. Maybe if it would relieve my stress it would be worth it, though. I do care about my family eating healthy food and a good variety. And I do think it's totally fair that I should do the majority of the cooking. I guarantee you I don't do that much cleaning so I oughta do something.

I know I sound like the perfect candidate for being a working mom while LCD is a stay-at-home dad, but in reality I love being home with the munchkin. The part where I play with her and teach her things and explore the world with her is almost universally awesome. Maybe I should just focus on getting rich so we can pay someone else to cook and clean? There are so many possibilities . . .

I just can't figure out if this problem really needs solving. We're still alive after all. And I'm happy about 22-23 hours a day so that's not too shabby.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Meal planning does take a lot of fore thought but otherwise I get too stressed out and I'm not good at coming up with stuff at the last minute either. I like crock pot meals bc I can dump a bunch of stuff in there in the morning and I don't have to worry about it at 5 pm when Q is fussy and just wants to be held and it's ready whenever we get the chance to eat.

abby said...

I was proud of myself the other day that I made a complete meal. My mom would have been so happy. I actually have a few cooking blogs on my RSS feed to give me inspiration when I have no idea what to make (I follow simply recipes and mel's kitchen cafe). Then again, my go to meal is Italian. You can throw a lot of stuff in pasta and make a meal. Also soup is awesome because you just have to chop up few things and let the pot do the work. The family gets veggies and you get a meal for few days.