19 March 2011

Chick Flick Duds

There used to be such a thing as a good chick flick, didn't there? I'm having a hard time recalling them now, but I know there are some romantic comedies I have seen that actually were romantic and/or actually funny, right? Or those empowering sisterhood movies; they had their moments, didn't they? And I'm not talking period films, because those are always automatically better (we recently watched "The Young Victoria" and it was fantastic). It seems like every time I talk LCD into watching a chick flick these days, it is terrible. The characters are annoying, the romance is like eating sand, and I feel slightly dumber after having watched the movie. And I want them to be good--or at least redeemable. When I am in the mood, I am someone who is totally on board with "feel good" moments. I'll eat it right up if it is at all believable.

Somewhat recently we have netflixed:
"You Again"
"The Back-up Plan" (okay fine, this was my fault)
"Leap Year"

all three of which totally fit the above criteria of terribleness. Do I need to abandon the genre altogether?

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I totally agree with you.

Dave said...

if you're going romantic comedy you really need to limit it to just matthew mcconaughey movies. That guy is awesome.

abby said...

@Dave Matthew McConaughey is no Paul Walker though.

MJ you have a point there hasn't been a good chick flick movie in years. We redboxed Valentine's Day and it was horrible.

Steve said...

It's because the genre hasn't been original since the 1990's. Besides, I hate movies I know the ending to before the trailer is over! Why waste two hours of your life?!?! But in case you haven't seen Date Night, I think you have, it's more in the genre you and the hubs will relate to.

Julie said...

you're telling me. which is why sleepless in seattle gets more play in our DVD player than any other rom-com. It's what every rom com wants to be, and really they should've ended the genre right there.
i did watch morning glory today as a fluff movie, it was...meh. perfectly adequate movie.