12 December 2010

Flashback December

So the other day, the baby and I were listening to my "It's a Cool, Cool Christmas" cd and this song--of all songs--made me tear up:

Everything's Gonna Be Cool This Christmas by Eels (This link is weird, but I'm too lazy to find a better one)

(By the way, hyperemotionality is apparently a side effect of having babies. And of getting older. So, it's not my fault that "E" really got to me.)

Let's just say last Christmas with our wonderful/fussy/sleepless newborn was tough. I can certainly imagine tougher Christmases, but for us it was hard enough that we declared December 26th a do-over Christmas day as we had not managed to do a single thing to celebrate Christmas on the 25th. Later that week we found out little A had acid reflux and colic (whatever that is) and it all started to make sense.

December, so far, has been the month of flashbacks for me. I'm remembering the beauty of my precious newborn and I'm remembering how agonizing that first month was. But, also, it was kind of sacred in a way. I feel like my whole being was carved out from the inside to make room for this new mommy person.

Anyway, this Christmas is gonna rock.

Also, LCD wants me to share this song with my many readers as well:

2 comments:

abby said...

I remember how you were with a 12 day old that WOULD NOT STOP CRYING. Oh the horrors. At least this year she can enjoy Christmas which makes Christmas 10 times more fun.

Remember the time we sang "Baby Jesus was born to rock!" as we drove around looking at the DC temple lights. Awesome December memory.

mj said...

Abz, this post was for you.