02 September 2010

eShakti: ridicul-awesome or meh?

So I ordered a dress. And I like it okay. Yup, just okay. I had read a bazillion random blog-reviews of eShakti and most of them were just so so glowing that I got really excited. But still in the back of my mind was a bit of doubt as I had seen the pics people took of themselves in the clothes and on average they were kind of ... well ... lackluster. Not bad, but just okay. However, the gushing. Just so much gushing I figured the pictures lied and people were just bad photographers.

On the plus side, the dress fits and it is pretty unique. I had them add sleeves and everything, so it's potentially one-of-a-kind. Oh yeah, back up a bit. That's the whole thing with eShakti. You can have them custom make clothes to fit your measurements and you can even customize sleeves, length, and sometimes neck style. A lot of the patterns they use are really stylish too, including some Anthropologie knock-offs. Anyway, it's a very, very cool concept. $70 for a tailor-made dress that maybe no one else has ($60 for off-the-rack sizing 0-26). Oh, and that's just the retail price. They have sales and a $15 off coupon. Definitely worth the occasional splurge, no?

I think where things go a wee bit wrong is in the fabric quality. The one I got just doesn't quite lay right and it's coarser than I thought it would be. So, fine for a summer-sun-dress-chillin'-on-vacation sort of thing, but not for dress-up when you want to look really swell. By the way, it's possible I just chose the wrong item. Perhaps "day dress" really does mean "yeah, don't try wearing this anywhere fancy and definitely not for a night out." If so, it's my problem.

Anyway, I'll post the pictorial tour after I get LCD to take some photos. I am keeping the dress as it will be useful sometimes and I can't get all my money back since it was tailored.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

And picture of the dress are coming soon? We must see this "okay" dress. Bing and decide.

mj said...

Well I have gotten so far as to tell Chris he needs to take a pic of me in it. Next step, finding time to do it/remembering to do it.