15 September 2010

Everything is Sentimental

Seriously. I mailed off my quarterly estimated taxes today and it was like "Wow. I am Self Employed. How did I get here?" [insert ruminations and ponderings]

Yesterday, Little A and I went on a walk in the early evening. It was the most perfect day ever: one part early fall crispness, one part late summer eve warmth, blue sky with feathery clouds breaking across it, zero humidity, much ahhhhhhh. It was a long walk.

As we walked I started to think about her as a teenager. Then I thought about myself as a teenager and how I wasn't very good at it. I spent most of my time waiting for it to be over. To my credit I did stop this habit once I got to college. College I loved and embraced as the first thing that had felt real in a long time.

But, this is not what I want for Little A. True, there was some benefit to me being more or less the impartial observer through my teenagedom. I learned a lot; I wrote it down, my life "wrapped up in books." But then again, when I actually HAD to do something instead of just watch and wait, I behaved quite stupidly. Behaving stupidly is definitely a rite of passage and Little A is welcome to it, but . . .

Mostly I just want her to live her life. I want her to be okay with who she is always.

I JUST WANT HER TO FEEL OKAY.

I was pushing her in her stroller and remembering this one thing I did as a adolescent that I am ashamed of to this day. I didn't have any trouble avoiding the obvious pitfalls: drugs and sex and what-have-you. But I managed to be insensitive, crass, and disrespectful to a peer in a damaging way that may have affected him for the rest of his life. It also may not have--I just don't know. What I do know is that when I was thirteen a girl in the lunch line told me I was "so not pretty" and I never forgot it. Not that I have a complex about it, but it's there. So something I did when I was thirteen could have had the same result. I wrote a hurtful letter one time, partially because I had been hurt and partially to look funny and cool to others, but I took it too far. This was almost twenty years ago.

I should have been better than I was then. I really should have known. I had been smart enough to know how to hurt people and how to be hurt.

So as I pushed Little A yesterday I hoped that she could be better, stronger, more confident in herself so that she never felt the need to put anyone down. To disrespect them.

But when I thought about it some more, I realized that maybe shame is a gift. Perhaps if we can feel shame it means we can feel love. As long as we know what to do with that shame it could be a good thing. As long as we can make something better with it. I mean there has to be a reason I have been remembering this one moment in my life so much at the same time that my capacity to love has been increasing.

When I look at my daughter and see the road of her life spread out before us I know I want to be there with her through all of it (okay, meaning the childhood part). I want to hold her when she feels the sting of rejection. I want to show her what we can become from what we are. Even if what we are isn't so awesome all the time. Mostly I want her to live courageously.

Yes it's very sentimental, but such is life.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Yes, I find myself very sentimental lately and pondering many of the things you mention. I think being a parent DOES make you crazy, ha. But seriously, I think of all the fun, anxiety, indecision (not that she has any now!), and potential hurt feelings lying in front of her and it makes me want to be sooooo excited for her but on the other hand wrap her up in her blankey and never out of my sight. See, CRAZY!