19 January 2010

happiness

This morning when my six-week-old woke up I went to pick her up and said good morning, baby. I was greeted with the cutest toothless smile you have ever seen. I wish I could have captured it. I love her. Her smiles make everything else worth it. I think it's an evolutionary adaptation. Whereas she spends 50% of her waking hours actively fussing or crying, 33% eating, 12% chilling, there is that beautiful 5% she spends playing and smiling. And thus is the parent bonded.

Yesterday was fantastic. We went on a walk as a family and even tried some geo-caching, then we went to the mall, and El Esposo and I took turns carrying the baby in the Baby Bjorn. At home we had a tear-free bathtime and she went to sleep for the night slightly before 11! She woke up at 3:30 and 7:00, but went back to sleep easily after eating. So far today we have spent an hour doing the feeding and refluxy fussing and soothing and I have introduced little a to records and the Thriller album specifically, dancing in the living room. Life is pretty good.

P.s., The diet is not working. Little a's reflux and gas are just as bad. But, we are dealing and for due diligence I am keeping up until Friday.

4 comments:

belle black said...

So fun! Aren't baby smiles the best? The good news is that babies' fussiness usually peaks at 6 weeks . . . so things will just keep getting better!

Amanda said...

That sounded like my little girls schedule...it ended just after her two month dr's appt. So just two more weeks...best of luck!

modestmuse said...

Good to see what I have to look forward to. Yesterday we bought a Baby Bjorn from some friends of ours. Good luck with the diet -- maybe it will start working in the next couple days?! Keep us posted. And more pictures, please! :)

Steve said...

I used to say, still do, the same thing. Even if only 1% of the time she smiles, everything else in the world in meaningless during that time.

How was geo-caching? I've been thinking of looking into that.