28 May 2008

What Recycling is Not

Yesterday my co-worker was telling me that people that make a big deal out of saving the environment and then go have children are total hypocrites. I tend to think people can just be multi-faceted. However, the whole discussion reminded me of other things that masquerade as saving the planet but really aren't.

My nice brother and sister-in-law got us a subscription to ReadyMade magazine as a wedding present. It's a fun little magazine with some cute craft projects, most of which are beyond our abilities and/or level of patience, but which nevertheless seem nice and like something we might try . . . someday. (Several years ago, a friend and I stole the idea of the pillowcase skirt from ReadyMade, so you never know.) But there is a trend that ReadyMade influences that just kind of bugs me: calling something recycling that is not recycling. It may be hip to make something artistic involving some old household objects AND other materials, but it's not exactly recycling. Creative? Sure. Re-use? Maybe. Less of a waste of resources than buying something? It depends. But not recycling. Definition number 1 for Recycle: to treat or process (used or waste materials) so as to make suitable for reuse. And, okay, I understand that an argument can be made that turning something into art is processing it for re-use, but I just think it can be taken to extremes. For example:

El Esposo and I were recently trying to find out how to recycle a broken television we have. We found this little gem of an idea from "Marie" at some website called world.org under the "how to recycle a television" section:

Gut a dead television and place an aquarium inside. Fill with fish.

Odd? Yes. Interesting? Possibly. Post-modern? I think that fits the bill. But, to me, recycling is when you decrease the total amount of waste, not increase it by--say--buying an aquarium.

I'm not saying creating a lamp from an old radio (like we saw at Artomatic last week) is not cool, I just prefer not to bastardize the term recycling to the point that we forget that junk is still junk. Like, um, what am I doing with the rest of the television that I just gutted? And how will I eventually dispose of the aquarium?

5 comments:

abby said...

I just called to say hi. No worries. Thanks for coming to my birthday dinner last week. It was great to see you as well as umm...enlightening. :)

Steve said...

Arlington County has a special place to drop off toxic waste like tvs.

mj said...

We are planning to take it to the Alexandria one, but it is only open on Mondays from 7:30 to 3:00, which is pretty inconvenient. Do you know any details on the Arlington one?

Joy said...

Funny, my Readymade arrived today. I agree though, some of the stuff is recycling, but a lot they call isn't.

Great lead-in sentences by the way.

mj said...

update: el esposo did in fact find the right place to take the tv, though reportedly it was pretty darn confusing.