05 June 2008

I knew that I would

I feel good today. I'm at work, I've got things to do ranging from utterly boring to somewhat interesting and I'm feeling good. Why? Because I got enough sleep. In the past I've conducted a study on myself to determine how much sleep I need. Studies show* the sleep required varies per person. For me it is very much an exact science: 7.5 hours. Actually, more than that would probably be okay, but that is a rarely studied happening, so there is room for further study. 7 hours 15 minutes does not cut it. Without fail, I will fall asleep on the bus and then at work my eyes will get heavy as I stare at the computer screen and inevitably they will start to close. Last night I got my 7.5 hours (barely) and I feel like a million bucks. Sleep means everything.

*I know I read this somewhere sometime. Maybe it was pop reporting, but it doesn't matter as I know for myself and that's plenty of data for me.

2 comments:

abby said...

I also had a good chunk of sleep last night and when I woke up I was ready to take my shower instead of snoozing five times and then running around trying to get ready in 10 minutes. I also took a 20 minute nap yesterday because I had a sugar crash. I bet people would feel more amazing if they ate right AND got enough sleep. I have yet to try that though.

Steve said...

Ha, I totally agree. For me, I need to have ODD numbers of sleep and preferably in whole numbers. So 7 or 9 is good. 8 is bad and anything between affects me to some extent. No matter on the person, I believe it comes down to REM cycles. You want to be woken up at the end of one. I think they occur in 90 minute intervals, but don't start and stop every 90 minutes, but have a 20-40 minute lag between starts.