16 February 2011

When you're strange

So, there's a character from the show Lost (in case you don't know) named Daniel Faraday. He's the tortured genius that often has an intense quizzical expression like this:

He's definitely socially awkward, though also endearing. Lately my thinks-he's-hilarious husband has been cracking up on random occasions while I'm speaking and then telling me my mannerisms looks like Daniel Faraday's. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Well you married me, so you must love it.

I've always had a sneaking suspicion I might be a little strange. It comes up from time to time, especially when I attempt to have conversations with female acquaintances that I don't share a lot of common interests with. See, when that happens the conversation devolves into what happened on "The Bachelor" lately or some such thing. I'm not going to pretend I am somehow above "The Bachelor," as I've seen random episodes here and there. I mean it's kind of like a car wreck, right? Desire for Fame (the 18-wheeler) v. Self-Respect (the little Honda that could). But, even if I have seen the latest episode, I just can't muster the enthusiasm needed to have a satisfying conversation about the actual characters/reality stars/whatever. And I often can't come up with an opinion about the supposed "romance" aspect. I mean don't they always fly in a helicopter and then make out? How do I know who's right for who based on that? And I'm being serious here: I will even try--like really hard--to come up with an opinion and I just can't. So, the conversation derails or I say something unintentionally funny (I guess, though I won't know WHY it's funny) and anyway I quickly find myself on the outside watching other women converse.

So, yeah. I guess I'm Daniel Faraday, sans time-traveling or physics genius. It must just be sheer dumb luck that I got married, but I'll take it.

3 comments:

Steve said...

For what it's worth, Farraday was probably my favorite character!

Unknown said...

MJ - You have a beautiful soul. And you are a great writer for many reasons, but mainly because you can tune in to how you actually feel and think and write about it honestly. Who hasn't been the odd girl out? I've (in my head) often called groups of women "the matronly bubble" because for some mental reason you only fit if you all know the same thing and all think the same. It's kind of controlling...and honestly strange. I am so glad I know you and we are friends and are independent women who do not have a need to be a part of "the matronly bubble".

Dave said...

he was also my favorite character and it just so happens that you are my favorite sister