03 February 2011

Not slowing down for anything

Oh how I wish someone had been able to film Little A today at the mall play area! I myself was busy trying to keep her from getting a concussion. Another day perhaps.

Holy smokes she is a speed demon. A good caption for this theoretical film a la America's Funniest Home Videos (does that show still exist?) would be "outtamyway outtamyway outtamyway outtamyway outtamyway outtamyway outtamyway . . ."

Once she discovered the little play house with the little stairs leading to the little slide it was true love and (to borrow a phrase) she did not stop til she got enough. Round and around she flew, squeezing past all the other children, all of whom were bigger than her. This one poor toddler that seemed to be roughly in the same age bracket as Little A (between 1 year and 18 months) was slowly trying to work up the courage to go in the house while little a lapped her at the doorway a few times in a row. Luckily she was not a bully about it (it's hard to be a bully when you're under the 5% line on growth charts), she was simply a woman on a mission.

I could not persuade her to leave until a very apologetic three-year-old ran smack into her. Yoinks!!!

Recently an acquaintance from church who has more or less watched Little A grow up commented, "She didn't really like being a baby, did she?" And I had to say "Nope. Not really. But she loves being a toddler." I know she's only 14 months old but when that is your whole life it probably seems like a long time. I feel like she's been waiting her whole life to run.

p.s., I reserve the right to still call her a baby since she really still is one in a lot of ways.

3 comments:

Steve said...

Scarlett was the same way. She couldn't wait to crawl and then she only did that for maybe two months before she was up walking. Then walking QUICKLY turned into running! Now I think she outruns me!

We stopped calling her a baby around 21 months or so! Now we are transitioning into the "big girl" stage so she will do more things on her own and stop expecting us to wait on her hand and foot, although she still gets her grandparents to fall for her drama! haha.

mj said...

21 months sounds about right. I still call her baby most of the time, and that's what she calls herself when she looks in the mirror. I love the age she is at now, though. She is more sweet and smiley than she ever was before.

Unknown said...

I can't believe I still haven't seen her in real life. All I knew is you had this baby bump last I saw you.