18 June 2010

Song contest drawing ever nearer

Check it out at the new blog.

Meanwhile, on a whim, I watched the first episode of the show Thirtysomething on Netflix last night and it blew my mind. I had that show filed away in my brain as a "grown-up TV show" that came on after my bedtime. 23 years later and it IS my life. I guess some things (unlike fashion -- yikes eighties) don't change much. At the end of the episode the character who is essentially me (and any other early thirties newly stay-at-home mom who has just left a good job) talks about how the reason it seems so hard to make sacrifices in life is because they were given so much and had so many options growing up and now expect more than their parents did. A few years back it seems like everyone was writing the same sort of thing about our generation and why a lot of us don't want to stick with one job for our whole career. History repeating itself.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Ha, interesting! Now that I am thirty something (seriously, I often forget the exact number and am forced to do quick math), I've been thinking of moving it to the top of my Netflix as well. I'm actually a little scared I might relate to it too much, ha.

mj said...

Be very afraid