20 July 2009

Luxury Camping/Cupcakes Weekend


So it wasn't quite that nice, but we did bring the queen air mattress with micro-suede top and we even took showers. It was lovely. And I learned that my $30 Walmart tent, which I have taken on several backpacking trips (eat your heart out REI), is quite impressive in the rain. Okay, it wasn't THAT much rain, but several little showers. Our dinner was also quite delicious (brats, asparagus, and croissants -- all cooked over the fire) and our breakfast was positively decadent (pancakes with maple syrup, fried eggs, sausage, and peaches). When preggo, luxury camping is the only way to go.

The next day we awoke to the most beautiful morning ever--blue sky with a smattering of feathery cirrus clouds--and a complete family of deer wandering through our campsite to chomp on the vegetation. We then went on a leisurely four-mile hike with a waterfall and ate lunch just in time to stop the pregnant lady from getting the shakes. Then we left the park, hung out with El Esposo's fam who made cupcakes to celebrate me, and went to see Harry Potter Six, which ended up being about equal parts entertaining and disappointing.

Sunday was nice and churchy and then some friends came over to surprise me and brought me . . . what? Cupcakes! And cute maternity clothes so I look less frumpy. And El Esposo gave me CDs. Yes, CDs! He knows I am more comfortable living in the nineties. In fact all of the CDs were related to bands I became a fan of in the nineties, even though they are all new for 2009: this one, of course, this one, and this one which proves El Esposo is a good listener. Probably this means I have sophisticated taste in things that last. Or that I am old. Thirty-freakin'-one. Actually, I feel pretty good about it.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Happy Bday! 31 isn't bad, but the problem I have with it is that it isn't a memorable number, so I often have to do the math in my head whenever anyone asks how old I am and I also tend to think I am older than what I really am, haha.

abby said...

Amy Mann wrote a song called "31 Today" so you can sing that to yourself. It was great to see you last night. We want you to keep your MJ style even when preggo.