11 September 2007

Rock * News

So I have almost a copy of my ep--sans drum tracks. It is being "shopped around" to drummers, which means I am trying to find someone I know who will record my drum tracks for free. Someone with really excellent rhythm. I've discovered recently that not everyone that plays the drums has really excellent rhythm and i need really excellent rhythm since . . . well . . . MY rhythm is not always excellent. There, I admitted it.

All the other parts are on there: rhythm guitar, vocals, backing vocals, lead guitar, sometimes more filler guitar, keyboards, bells, harmonica, etc. They just need to be mixed a little better. Another thing I have noticed for you novice recording engineers: The same song can sound completely different on a different stereo. So, though most of my songs seem pretty well-mixed on the "studio" speakers that is not the case elsewhere.

In fact, it is crazy all the stuff you have to do to make a recording sound good. Every one of the following makes a huge difference: the type of equipment, how/where it is miked, how well everything is tuned (duh), how much the level varies during the performance (less is more, I've learned), the settings for "tone," reverb, effects, etc. on the instrument and/or primary equipment like amps, the effects on the recording device including compression (this is to keep the volume or level from varying so much) and a whole myriad of other things that mess with the EQ, then the mixing of the tracks after they are recorded including overall volume, overall bass and treble and mid-range, and effects like echo or reverb or what-ever, then the mastering which is like the detail work of bringing sounds into the foreground and background and I don't even know what else.

I myself am such a novice at this but I feel like I am becoming less stupid, slowly but surely. I will be sooo excited when I am done and proud of the finished product.

3 comments:

Nick said...

You should tease us with a lead single, even sans drums.

I just found your comment on my site. It is likely you have a 4 track tape that is not yet mixed down to 2 track. Meaning yes, you need a 4 track that will play it at double speed, as 4 tracks usually use faster recording speed to improve sound quality.

I would love to hear your stuff and get any advice on how to record my own unfinished product.

mj said...

hmm. i might post one on my former band's myspace site where all recordings are amateur to the max. i'll let you know and will definitely share the finished product with you, nick.

seth said...

i heard someone say that audio engineers are supposed to have a lousy set of speakers that sounds like someone's home stereo, which they can switch on instead of their sweet studio monitors. the only audio engineer i know doesn't have that type of setup as far as i recall. she mixes tv commercials for a living.