28 October 2010

It's just the way I -role

That may be the dumbest pun ever.

I have recently volunteered to be in charge of organizing a bunch of women (now that I think about it I'm not sure why we can't invite men too--I'll get on that) to prepare hot meals for a homeless/unemployed/what-have-you services center once a month. It's really not a big deal and I really dig being at least somewhat involved in the community. I was much better at it when I was single and childless. Especially when I was underemployed and pennies away from becoming homeless myself. So I'm trying to get back to that part of myself. Meanwhile, I am learning a whole new genre of cooking known as the casserole.

People cringe at the word and I'm pretty sure it's considered all kinds of lame and 1950's housewife, but there is a time and a place for everything. And lest ye be confused I am at best an "adequate" housewife, so I don't think LCD is going to stop cooking West African, Indian, Thai, etc. anytime soon. I had made maybe two casseroles in my life before this new development, though I'm headed for number four in about a week. The thing is it's actually kind of awesome how stinkin' easy these things are. Gourmet they are not (generally). Nor are they interesting and ethnic. But I find myself actually getting excited to try a good macaroni and cheese recipe. Yes, this is what I am becoming. Pretty cool, huh?

This month we are making one of the longest-lived American casserole recipes in existence: The Tuna Noodle Casserole. My friends, we are talking about pasta, canned tuna, and peas as the main ingredients. You better believe I am making one for the homeless people and one for us. Peas are by far my baby's favorite vegetable and here is a chance to really make them sing.

A year from now I may or may not be the Casserole Queen. I'm leaning towards "may not" buy I'm leaving "may" out there as a possibility. These days anything is possible.

4 comments:

Steve said...

I would LOVE some Tuna Noodle Casserole for lunch right now! It is one of my favorite foods. Do you put crushed potatoe chips on top of it? YUM!

abby said...

This is a pretty tasty one I made in college, when my 5 roommates and I would take turns cooking for each other. I'm sure you can double it to serve your needs.

1 pound ground beef
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's Condensed Tomato Soup
1 cup Pace Thick & Chunky Salsa
1/2 cup milk
6 flour tortillas (8") or 8 corn tortillas (6"), cut into 1" pieces
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 ounces)

In medium skillet over medium-high heat, cook beef until browned, stirring to separate meat. Pour off fat. Add soup, salsa, milk, tortillas and half the cheese. Spoon into 2-quart shallow baking dish. Cover. Bake at 400°F for 30 minutes or until hot. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Serves 4.

mj said...

Sweet! Recipe!

Unknown said...

au contrare! The casserole is a very ethnic dish. It is quite a Mormon family staple.