12 November 2009

Feeling Elliot Smith

Rainy fall days always make me think of Elliot Smith. This has been the case ever since a little over 5 years ago when I was working at this depressing temp job because no one would hire me to do anything real and one day I walked down the street to Dupont Circle (the location was cool, the job was not) and started to feel as if the rain were playing a song on everyone's black umbrellas (they had to be black). At first it was just a sort of familiar rhythm, then I felt like I could hear piano keys being played by fat fingers, the tones getting lower and lower. It seemed that everyone was walking 3/4 time, too. Eventually I figured out that the world was playing Elliot Smith's Waltz #2. I've blogged about this before (probably five years ago) but it seems right today, too. Here's the audio of the song since I didn't like any of the live versions as much:

No comments: