19 January 2009

Working from home

It's 2:37 pm and I am still in my PJ's. I have more reasons than that to thank Martin Luther King, Jr. (who seriously was inspirational beyond almost anyone except maybe Helen Keller, right?), but nevertheless it is a perk I enjoy, and it is no small thing as my commute is increasingly burdensome.

Yesterday, El Esposo and I cataloged all of our home improvement completed so far and what still remains. It's a lot on both ends, but I'm beginning to really like this place. Just for fun, here's some stuff that was on the list for week one (aka Christmas week)

12/22
Closed on house
Painted master bedroom
Up until 2:30am with the intoxicated carpet dude
12/23
Finished painting master bedroom
Spackled hole in office wall and a little throughout house
12/24
Painted office
Painted living room/hallways/stairway
12/26
Painted dining room
Hung blinds in office
Installed switch covers
Carpet installed
De-Christmased the tree in front yard (for the first time in years)
Installed powder room light fixture and mirror
12/27
Moved out and in/assembled furniture (bed, bookshelf, etc.)
Moved and installed fridge
Installed cupboard “liners”
Unpacked essentials

Here's a picture of the dining room, where I ate my lunch today.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Man, we've lived in our house for over a year and half and you've done way more then we have. You're such and inspiration!

Liz said...

I love the color of the walls. It looks like a great place. May I ask where you found a place? (Within the beltway, outside?) I'm always curious. Also, you have made me want to paint our walls which are a drab colorless cream. When I first moved here, I picked out all these paint samples and planned all these home improvement projects but the lack of money and the fact that we'd only be here for a year (now only 6 months) kinda put a damper on that. Have fun with your new home! That is truly an exciting milestone.

Steve said...

Looks very cute! Yeah, I too am curious as to the area you moved to!?!? You haven't become a suburbanite, have you?!?! :)

abby said...

Since MJ isn't talking I will. She's a total suburbanite as in I had to drive on the Fairfax County Parkway to get to her. I also had to make my way onto the western part of the beltway a place I don't go often. The house is way cute and they have done a lot for people that have only lived there a month.

mj said...

ha ha. turns out i'm 'not talking' if i don't respond within a few hours. it's been a busy day, abz. by the way there is no need to take the FFX county parkway to get to my house unless you are coming from deeper in FFX county. it's total suburbs, though. i still take the metro bus every day so that counts for some kind of civilization. we are outside of the beltway by two or three miles, i think.

anyway, amanda, we had to do a lot of work for the place to be inhabitable. the first time we walked in it stunk like mildew and wet dog and el esposo was like 'i can't handle this, we are getting out of here.' instead we bought it and now it's a fun place. we will probably have some kind of housewarmingish event soon, so those of you that live around here and have not already been to my house (aka steve) can come on by. we will definitely be rockin' some tunes in our sweet basement music room.

Steve said...

Very cool! I think we are having the baby "near" your place! Our hopsital is right off of 7100! Fairfax County Parkway brings back old memories, haha.