06 August 2008

Songwriting Challenge # 2: Loss or whatever

It is time to open up the songwriting challenge to all my fellow songwriters. For any first-timers, the rules are simple:

a) Write a song based on the prompt (you are encouraged to put your own spin on it)
b) Practice it a little
c) Record the song in the simplest fashion available to you: one-track-one-take is the general rule, but if you really screw up it's ok to do another take
d) Send it to me by the deadline via rocktastica at gmail dot com
e) I will post links to them for all to hear and vote upon

Note: It's more of a challenge than a contest per se, but if you want to believe there's a lot of competition involved, feel free to indulge yourself. I think of it as just a little exercise to stretch the muscles.

The challenge this time is very simple:

Write a song starting with the lyric "I lost . . ."

The deadline is Saturday, August 23rd.

For Challenge #1 entries, scroll down a bit. The results of the voting for Challenge #1 were not unlike a soccer game for toddlers: a big fat tie. Everyone's a winner.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Uh-oh, that means my eventual US based vote will be the tie breaker?!?! Such pressure!

I'm not much of a songwriter considering I have written, uhm, zero songs, but I fancy myself a pretty nifty haiku writer, haha. Maybe on one of these creative afternoons at work when I need an escape, something will end up on here!!!

mj said...

oops. steve, i thought you had already voted. let me see if i can re-open the poll. of course now it's going to be very not-anonymous unless someone else surprise votes.