31 July 2008

Break Even Day!

As of today's paycheck, I am finally in the black for the first time since grad school. The amount of money I owe the US government (they are my only creditor) is slightly less than the amount of money I have in liquid assets. Who knew that some day I would be a contributing member of society? It only took thirty years.

I have to revel in it while I can, since as soon as we buy a house this is all gone. I know a house is an asset, but it sure is a liability too.

3 comments:

modestmuse said...

!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations! I hope I, too, attain that status one day. How liberating!

abby said...

Wow financial freedom...the day I paid off my car loan was a really happy day for my bank account.

Check out my blog, I'm curious how many of those books you've read.

Steve said...

Yeah! That was a big day for me too. And eventually, I paid off my loan too, just this past spring to be exact! But now with the house, the liabilities column just got bigger than ever. However, the house should be worth more than you owe on it, thus it's still a net gain! :)