01 April 2008

A blog is not a journal

You can't write about any of the most interesting experiences. I was thinking to myself how recent experiences need to be recorded somewhere. Either for posterity or just for myself so I can keep from re-making mistakes. AND so I can even remember how I did it when I happened to do something so exactly right. EVEN just to put something that happened into a larger context so it can make some actual sense instead of just fester in my brain and keep making noise noise noise and no meaning. Then I remembered the Journal concept. Journals: Turning brain noise into usable life lessons. That's my slogan for the journal lobby. Takers? You owe me a dollar. Or maybe just a citation.

1 comment:

abby said...

I'm a big journal writer which I don't think you know. I have journals that I have kept since I was 20 and I flip through them when I'm going through dilemmas that seem familiar or if I need some perspective. President Eyring mentioned this concept in his Oct 2007 Sunday morning conference talk. I don't write in my journal everyday but when something is really bothering me or I found something insightful I write in my journal. It won't judge me. It won't tell what I should be doing. It is there to listen and it helps me figure things out. Writing is my biggest coping mechanism. The problem with a blog is that the world can find it and some things are better left untold to the public. Have you thought of creating a private live journal account or just keeping a word document of your experiences? Writing by hand can be a nuisance but it is also extremely therapeutic.