15 November 2006

Tailor-Made


Later, I'm going to write a post entitled: "Pop goes the cranberry" and it will be about when I get my bridesmaid's dress altered for what'sherface's wedding. Therefore this post has to be about cranberries.

So, I bought cranberries at a certain hipster meets organic meets cheapskate grocery heaven and I decided I love cranberry season. I am a cooking nerd in this post. I made cranberry cream pie and cranberry sauce so far. The pie was fantastic and the sauce good clean yummy fun. You see, fresh cranberries, for those of you that don't know, are horrifying to eat as is. But if you simmer them in water they POP and let out their juicy goodness and the water slowly turns this gorgeous color somewhat reminiscent of blood but with more pink. You also generally need to add some sugar to make them delicious. I personally enjoy being festive, less by decorating and more by an appropriate activity. Like when we went to see the Al Gore movie on the hottest day of the year (not that it isn't also serious, but hey--festive). Why not be festive about cranberry harvesttime?

I feel like I am in an episode of either Reading Rainbow or Mr. Rogers. You tell me why.

4 comments:

Steve said...

I'm a huge fan of cranberry juice. It mixes well with other juices, such as apple, grape, and even orage. Oceanspray also has this great mix called "American Juice" or something where they take all three berries that are native to the US and make it a juice and of course cranberry is one of the three. I still think my favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner is the canned cranberry sauce that still looks like a can when it pops out!!!!

Unknown said...

You know the latest craze is actually pomegranates. They're in everything from juice, suckers, gum, and they're apparently good with duck. Some Jewish mystics say the pomegranate contains something like 600 seeds to represent every vere in the Torah or something like that. but that is all my paraphrasing what I heard and not verifying it so you should probably look it up cuz it's probably all wrong.

I am attempting to make Thanksgiving dinner this year. Just me and my brother. If anyone's in town, there's probably going to be lots of leftovers.

MF said...

You don't have to take my word for it...duh-duh duh!

David said...

i liked the mr. rogers episode where they showed us how apple juice was made. absolutely amazing. that still reminds me of fall.