12 April 2011

I "ran" a mile yesterday

So I did not have too hard of a time losing the baby weight. It was not immediate, but I was back to normal (or at least close enough--we won't talk about belly skin) by 9 months after. Hooray for breastfeeding! NEVERTHELESS, I am in terrible shape, except perhaps for my arms. So yesterday I went jogging for the first time in a long, long time. It is finally light enough outside after dinner (when LCD can watch the babe)! A mile used to be no problem for me (to be fair to myself, there are a lot of hills in this mile and I got just-ate-dinner cramps) but it took me for-EV-er and I had to walk about HALF of it. I can't think of a time in the rest of my life that I have ever had to walk HALF of one stinkin' little mile. I really did not think I would be this weak SIXTEEN MONTHS (!) post-baby. It convinced me all the more that I need to get back into running a few times a week. So, going for a repeat on Wednesday, maybe with slightly better results? I'm hoping that within a couple of weeks I can run the whole time and start to add more distance.

I feel like kind of a loser compared to the women that are back to an exercise regimen a couple weeks after the baby. I won't lie. Baby recovery was not easy on me and my insides and I honestly could not walk without pain until maybe 2 or 3 months after, so I doubt I will ever be one of those women. But still . . . next time I ought to be able to do more (yoga is not enough, it turns out) at least by 6 months.

Anyway, you gotta start somewhere!

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Good for you for starting! A good friend of mine is having a baby about two weeks after I am. So, our recovery time will be the same. We are planning on training for a marathon next year. I've never done one, but post baby working out is hard! I did ok after Hunter but after Zoie I was no good. I'm so out of shape too. Walking and running is ok but after a c-section it's the weight lifting that's a killer. After doing 5 crunches the next day I'll have painful cramps. So, take it easy and keep it up!

Steve said...

Yeah, just ease into it, but don't give up! As for the belly skin, the best solution is to have a second kid b/c since they have to do the C-section again, they give you a tummy tuck while they are down there!

Melissa said...

Steve,
I didn't end up with a C-section last time--just what the nurses referred to as a "vaginal C-section." Though I might get one next time--have to see what my OB/midwife/whoever I get will say. That would be a convenient way to take care of things though, haha. I've heard of people really doing it but I wonder how it works since a lot of the skin does go back on its own(just not all of it :().

abby said...

If you want a running buddy, let me know. I can at least run a mile. :)

mj said...

Abz, If we can work it logistically I would love to be running buddies.

Liz said...

I always feel like a big lazy bum whenever I hear of other new moms who are already out there, training for half-marathons and the like. I applaud them but I haven't figured out a way to do it myself. Maybe that have more motivation than me or maybe they have better access to childcare because their husbands don't work 14 hour days. If I want to work out, I have to include Zara in the program.

Anyway, what I meant to say was don't feel bad for taking the time to fully recover and find your motivation. Good luck running and getting back into general shape. You'll do awesome!

Melissa said...

Oh Amanda, #3 is coming pretty soon, right? I'm getting nervous butterflies for you just thinking about it. Good for you for doing a marathon. I mostly just want to not die young and be able to go hiking without passing out so I think my goals should be attainable.

mj said...

I think I've explained this before but Melissa=mj. We are one in spirit.

And also in body, brain, guts, pretty much everything. Only difference is one of us has a job.