19 February 2010

Networking is working

Just got off the phone with my old old boss. We're talking three bosses ago. Maybe four if you count the newest one of the last 11 weeks. Here is my piece of advice for the people of the internet:

Never Burn Bridges


See? Don't say I never taught you anything. Five minutes into the conversation we're talking freelance writing work. All I had to do was produce freaking excellent work while I worked for him, then give him a very generous heads up before quitting, and finally complete one social call per year.

Honestly I am super lucky with how often I have been able to confuse people into thinking I'm brilliant.

Even more honestly I should be thanking God for allowing me - a person who really can't stand networking - to stumble upon such excellent human beings through my short career who can now help me in my next career as a freelancer. Seriously, this excellent individual did most of my work for me.

And lest you think this post is not about the baby I will soon need to find someone I trust to babysit the precious progeny a couple times a week. How I love that sweet girl.


********************************************************************************

Is this really going to work? Am I really going to have my cake and eat it too? Work part-time from home so we don't go broke and I don't go insane while still having the opportunity to spend most of the little one's waking hours with her? AAAACK. Trying not to hyperventilate. Don't screw this one up, MJ.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Wow, I hope you can work everything out. I know how you feel about a babysitter. We didn't leave Hunter with a babysitter including family, for longer then 30mins until he was around 11 months old. But that feeling goes away as they get older, or you have a second. We are as worried with Zoie. She's already been with babysitters a few times.

Unknown said...

You don't have to confuse anyone. You are brilliant :). Anyway, if that is the scenario you want for your life then you can have it. you are working toward it and it is coming to you. Yay!