08 April 2009

How did I get here? (part A)

Sometimes I have a Talking Heads moment. You know "This is not my beautiful house. This is not my beautiful [husband]" etc. Not that I'm living some kind of pool-side charmed life, but sometimes it seems like just yesterday I was starting my first part-time job at KFC. So anyway I feel like tracing all the jobs I have held in my life in the hopes of establishing a pattern. My guess is the pattern will spell F-E-A-R O-F C-O-M-M-I-T-M-E-N-T.

1) KFC - age 16 summer through early fall until my Dad told me I needed to quit to concentrate on my "studies." Maybe he thought I was going on to become a neuro-physicist (does that exist?)

2) Pizza Hut - age 17 near the end of Senior Year, I think through the summer before college. I was actually quite bad at this job. I was a Pizza Hut waitress, but usually everyone just got the buffet.

3) Boston Market - about the same time as Pizza Hut. Yes, my food service career continues, but Boston Market felt like a step up. Not so greasy and less creeps working there.

4) McDonald's - I honestly got this job just to feel well-rounded in fast food. I got this my freshman year of college and quit two weeks later. (p.s., there is a pattern coming--it's called freshman year).

5) Telemarketing job #1 - I can't remember the name of the company b/c I held this job for about a week. I really wanted some extra money freshman year, but I just couldn't get myself to keep any of these jobs, b/c - let's face it - they sucked (and I was too busy having fun and getting crappy grades I would have to make up for later). I remember calling a few people and hearing some sad stories about how they just lost their job, their mom died, they were paying off an operation b/c they didn't have health insurance and numerous other good reasons for leaving them alone. I basically agreed that I should leave them alone and quit.

6) Enzo's Pizza - this might have happened at an earlier or later time, I can't remember, but it was when I lived at home with my parents so probably during the summer. I got the job and was fired a couple days later b/c oh yeah I'm not old enough to serve alcohol.

7) Data Entry Job - at home, very early summer after Freshman year (actually I'm sure it was still spring). I had this job for a week and got fired b/c I actually suck at data entry. I really, really suck at it. I remember crying all the way home. It is to this day the only time I have been fired for pure incompetence and the last time I was fired at all.

8) Chester Diner - Waitress. Also summer freshman year. This job was all right and I was all right at it, but it was really hard sometimes. I would work til 2 am sometimes and there was always all this bustling around, barking voices, intense looks from managers and the need to smile at the customers always. Once someone told me I looked like I'd been raised on a farm. Most of the waitresses there were world-weary single moms with two jobs, trying to get by. I was instead a college student home for the summer. So yes there was a difference.

9) Lab Technician - I got this job solely b/c my dad worked for the company. (that's right--privilege of the upper middle class). Also I had been thinking about majoring in microbiology b/c I really liked my freshman biology class. This lasted from June through August, summer of 97 after Freshman Year. Because this was a good solid full-time job that paid very well compared to what I was used to, I eventually quit the waitress job (for a while I did both). This is easily the most mind-numbing job I have ever had. But it was good money. I took this same job in summer 98, but i felt a little guilty b/c during my sophomore year I dropped out of microbiology and became an English major (shh: all the English major "internships" don't pay anything).

10) Dishwasher - I don't remember having any job experiences during sophomore year. I was lucky enough to have earned enough at my death-to-personality lab tech job to pay tuition (BYU is cheap and my parents paid for room and board). However early in my junior year Fall 98, I started getting that I'm going to need some money itch again and signed up to be a dishwasher. Another job I quit within the week. Seriously, $5/hour to wear an apron and stand all day and wash dishes full of gross fatty college food. I mean KFC was way better than that. Why I kept taking these jobs I would inevitably quit is probably based on some deep psychological need. Or pure stupidity of someone whose brain is not yet fully developed.

11) Assisted Living (fake) CNA - This job I kept for about a year. Yes, job #11 was the one that finally ended the pattern of starting and quitting on a whim. It was hard, but I liked it. I really liked the old people. I really liked being trusted with the responsibility to care for them. I really liked the homey atmosphere (there were about ten residents). There was plenty of gross stuff to deal with--three words: Exploding Colostomy Bag. But it was the first job where I felt like I was really doing something useful. I liked it so much more. This brings us to age twenty and a good stopping point.

8 comments:

Steve said...

Oh yes, the early jobs! I still have nightmares about my first one and to this day if I were to see the boss, I'd punch him square in the nose, haha. Is 15 years too long to hate someone? Hell, he might even be dead already!

abby said...

I must have rocked at data entry because I did it for a year after graduate school. I was pretty popular at work and people would stop by and talk to me all the time. I was really fast and intelligent which apparently is a rarity for this type of job. Teams used to fight over me and they kept on offering me a full time job doing it. I quit and moved to DC. I saw what a dead end it really was.

Liz said...

See, I have the opposite problem. I stay at jobs until the very bitter end even if I hate them. I have only quit my relatively few number of jobs when I was moving out of the state (or country, as the case may be). And even then, it didn't always work since I worked at a Gap in San Diego and then transferred to the one in Provo when I went back to BYU. I don't think I could ever quit a job after a week but I applaud your ability to do so.

Delaware Job Hunters said...

This article reminds me of this quote, "Seasonal unemployment was found to be a state which does not have much employment, for example, rural areas."

But there are career experts who conduct seminars giving concrete advice about the needed skills to compete in today's competitive job market.

Steve said...

MJ - I still can't figure out how one can be bad at data entry! I mean, monkeys can do that!!! :)

mj said...

I don't know how I was bad at data entry but I was. I got fired in the middle of the day, I think because they wanted to stop me from screwing up anything else.

OK, I'm developing a theory. I think my subconscious rebels when there is absolutely only one way to do something. Middle child syndrome, I believe it is.

modestmuse said...

I love it, this is funny to read and look back on my own past work experiences and misadventures. Have we ever talked about CNA work? I was a CNA (a real one, not a "fake one" though what you did sounds really real to me -- I hope I never see a colostomy bag again, either) in college because I loved the old people, too. So there is another job interest (editing being the other) that we have in common. Let's hear part B soon!

modestmuse said...

oh and p.s. I just read everyone else's comments -- I have to agree with Steve, if I were ever to see this one boss of mine again ...

And Liz, because I'm the same way, it is VERY hard for me to sever ties and realize that the job really sucks and I should quit.