25 October 2006

Asparagus

This was going to be about how asparagus makes your pee smell but only forty percent of people can smell it and only forty percent of people produce the smell so, you know, do the math. But instead it's going to be about making relationships work. And compromise. And giving your input. Later. When I'm not late for work.

11/7: Maybe when I'm staying home from work illin'. So I will do a quick summary of the backstory so as not to wax too mundane/personal. It is about a trip to the grocery I took with my dear sweet bf. We were supposed to make a side dish for someone's birthday dinner and he, being the amazing cook that he is, generally takes care of that sort of thing. But then he had this whole thing about why do I always defer to him and I had this thing about well you usually don't like my ideas and you're the cook anyway. blah de blah I was suddenly in charge and wanted to do something with asparagus but the asparagus at the store was gross so we went back to his original plan anyway.

The moral is that communication is hard. And taking turns at making decisions is a bit hard, too. And sort of harder when you love someone. Because you don't want to hurt their feelings and because their feelings can be quite fragile. And a contract like "you get to choose every time it's food, I get to choose every time it's music" probably won't work because people are not segments. But it's really important to learn how to listen. I don't mean normal listening like you're taking notes in school, but gracious and understanding and empathetic listening. It's also really important to learn how to talk. Not just spout off your ideas, but the talk from honest self evaluation, stripped of pride. Totally naked, like asparagus after you peel the outer shell to make spargel suppe. It's hard.

3 comments:

Steve said...

Although I'm curious HOW you know so much about the smell of pee!!! I was hoping you'd discuss Spargel, the white asparagus that is found and so very yummy here in Germany!!!!

mj said...

oh yeah, that too. when i visited germany we had spargel suppe every chance we got. we also thought that it would be a good name for a dog and talked over plans to start a cartoon called "Spargel der Wunderhund"

abby said...

I wonder how good conversation makes your pee smell.